HOME STUDY ORGANIC GROWING COURSE
Minimize pest problems, and creating productive farms and healthy gardens without relying upon artificial chemicals - all that takes knowledge, and sometimes a little more hard work.
Through this course you can lay a foundation in the skills needed to be an effective organic gardener or farmer.
This courses has been developed by a team of organic experts including John Mason (author of Sustainable Agriculture) and Maggi Brown (former Education Officer with Garden Organic /HDRA). It is a very solid training ground for anyone who is serious about growing organic vegetables, herbs or other plants.
Duration: 100 hrs
Payment: Installment plans available
Read more: http://www.careerlinecourses.com.au/organic-plant-culture-courses-online-distance-learning.htm
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Introduction A look at the various organisations that are involved with the organic movement.
- Plant Culture- Learn about the basis of good plant and soil health with no dig principals and crop rotation.
- Understanding Soils- If your soil is not good, the plants will not perform. Understand soil profiles, identify soil types, and the requirements to keep plants healthy.
- Fertilizers and Plant Nutrition- Organic fetilisers such as manure based ones and how to use them.
- Soil Management- Green manure crops, cultivation techniques for minimising soil disturbance and composting techniques to enhance the soil.
- Pests & Diseases-Understanding pests and diseases and environmental problems with organic production.
- Mulching- This lesson looks at the importance of mulch and methods to useit when producing organic crops.
- Seeds - Collecting, storing & sowing your own seeds.
- Vegetable Growing in your locality- The importance of selecting a suitable site and planning your crop. The A-Z of various vegetables you could look at growing.
- Fruit Growing in your locality-Establishing an orchard and the production aspects to consider. A-Z of various fruit tree types you could look at growing.