Learn to become less reliant on the electricity and gas companies and save money through alternative energy sources. This course will equip you with knowledge and understanding of the types of alternative energy, better ways to manage energy consumption, how electric and non-electric systems work, different techniques for storing electricity, and use this knowledge to plan how to convert a buildings energy supply to an alternative system.Lesson Structure
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Introduction: The Problems and the Energy Sources.
- Understanding Energy
- Generating Electricity
- Storage and Using Electricity
- Non-Electric Systems
- Energy Consumption
- Energy Conservation
- Converting to Alternative Systems
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.Aims
What You Will Do
- Describe the nature and scope of alternative energy.
- Describe the nature and application of electricity.
- Compare different methods of generating electricity
- Compare different techniques for storage and use of electricity.
- Describe the application and operation of different non electric energy systems
- Identify ways to better manage energy consumption.
- Describe energy conservation techniques.
- Discuss how to convert a building’s energy supply to an alternative system.
- List different insulating materials which may be commonly found inside electrical equipment?
- Determine a practical example to show the relevance of each of Kirchoff's Laws to a technician, in their daily work?
- Contact a number of suppliers of alternative energy generating systems (e.g. wind, solar).
- Find out all that you can about the types of systems they supply. Collect any relevant leaflets and brochures. If possible observe such systems in action.
- Design a floor plan and describe the current electricity use of a home which you are familiar with (but which uses only mains power supply).
- This might be the home of a friend, relative, or even your own home.
- Recommend ways in which this home might reduce reliability on mains supply (either in part or full) by introducing its own electricity generation system
- Compare the relative significance of alternative sources of energy including wind, solar, fossil fuels, hydro, etc.
- Explain electricity, including its nature, terminology and options for applying it as an energy source
- Explain the generation of electricity through a variety of means including: Photo voltaic cells, Wind powered generators, Petrol powered generators and Batteries.