Healthy eating makes a healthy body & mind
This course teaches you how to develop a well balanced diet. Topics covered include how cooking and food processing affect nutrition, recommended nutrient intakes, assessing nutritional needs, planning a balanced diet, timing of meals, needs for special people/groups.Lesson Structure
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Cooking and its Effect on Nutrition
- Food Processing and its Effect on Nutrition
- Recommended Daily Intake of Nutrients
- Planning a Balanced Diet
- Assessing Nutritional Status and Needs
- Diet Planning for Special Needs
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.Aims
- Determine appropriate food preparation for different foods, in relation to value for human health.
- Explain the characteristics of food processing techniques and their implications for human health.
- Understand the minimum and maximum safe intake for macronutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Manage dietary intake of more significant vitamins including fat soluble, B and C complex vitamins for good health.
- Manage dietary requirements of significant minerals including calcium & iron for good health.
- Plan in detail, an appropriate seven day diet plan, for an "average" adult.
- Determine dietary needs of different individuals and sub-populations
- Plan diets to achieve different, specific purposes and to plan diets for specific needs for people at different stages of life.