The ICI paralegal course has been designed in conjunction with government and industry representatives and helps you learn the skills you need to succeed within the field of law quickly and conveniently.
Our program is designed for those who seek to enter the profession and for experienced paralegals and legal secretaries who wish to improve their skills and upgrade credentials.Legal Process and Procedure
Apply knowledge of the legal system to complete tasks
- roles and responsibilities of the courts, tribunals and commissions
- the names of the main courts and tribunals in the legal system and what they do
- the titles, roles and responsibilities of people in the legal industry
- the range of legal services offered by legal firms
- the range of legal documentation and how to use it
- how to apply for certificates
- how to act when in a court/tribunal
Legal Process and Procedure
Carry out search of the public record
- know a range of sources such as electoral rolls, credit files, motor vehicle registration, rate searches, Consumer Affairs records, databases etc.
- know where to locate sources such as government departments, statutory bodies, Titles Office, Australian Securities Commission, Court library etc.
- how to work to timelines such as court deadlines, client needs, case issues
- how to conduct the search including lodging a request, paying costs
- completing the search including filing expenses, checking information, delivering the information and recording time
Apply the principles of confidentiality and security within the legal environment
- the various codes of conduct including duty of care, ethical behaviour, conflict of interest, privacy, maintaining confidentiality etc.
- types of non-disclosable information such as names, addresses, witness statements, financial information, whereabouts of clients etc.
- security and confidentiality procedures
Handle receipt and despatch of information
- how to process court documents, original documents and served documents
- how to distribute urgent and confidential documents
- procedures for collecting, sorting, recording outgoing mail
- how to organise urgent deliveries
Use legal terminology in order to carry out tasks
- an understanding of legal terminology and when to use it appropriately
- abbreviations for commonly used legal terms
- extend learning of legal terminology
Work effectively in a business environment
- the rights and responsibilities of employees and employers
- occupational health and safety procedures
- equal opportunity policies e.g. discrimination issues, reporting procedures, how to resolve disputes
- workplace terms and conditions
- issues relating to change in the workplace
- working in a legal office
- careers in legal administration
Produce business documents
- selecting appropriate software
- identifying document requirements
- designing and enhancing document formats
Contribute to effective workplace relationships
- collecting information from appropriate source
- developing trust and confidence
- building and maintaining networks and relationships
Maintain records for time and disbursements in a legal practice
- how to deal with irregularities and/or uncertainties
- record keeping of documentation
Legal Process and Procedure
- delivery procedures for court documents
- drafting and lodging court documents
HOW WILL YOU BENEFIT?
- Fast track your career in paralegal services
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a paralegal pro in months not years!
- Study a paralegal course that was designed in conjunction with the legal industry
- Free up valuable time, don't wast time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as $49 per week
Start a career in a powerful and well paid industry. The ICI paralegal studies course is your stepping-stone toward an exciting career working for
- In-house legal departments of large companies
- Telecommunications providers
- Countless other large organisations with in house legal departments.
- Private practice law firms specializing in:
Civil Rights Consumer Law
Health Care Law
Real Estate Law
Corporate Legal Departments
Human Resources Analyst
Real Estate & Title Insurance Firms
Banks & Financial Institutions
Community Legal Services
o Attorney General's Office
o Various government departments
This legal course will provide you with a thorough knowledge of the legal industry, skills and knowledge needed to keep pace in a thriving law practice.
It’s a comprehensive legal course where you will learn highly advanced practical skills in administration, while gaining crucial knowledge of paralegal systems and procedures for the legal industry.
You will also gain an understanding of the concepts, terminology and documentation specific to courts and legal offices, and develop the skills and experience necessary for effective case research, reporting and preparation of contractual agreements such as wills, probates and leases. Job outlook
According to the latest government statistics there is growing demand for Legal Assistants and Paralegals. It is forecasted that a 29% increase will occur between 2002 and 2012. Taking the ICI paralegal course can help you become a part of it all! A search of your local newspaper or online job search website will reveal the paralegals are among the most in demand positions in the workplace!
What is a paralegal exactly?
Paralegals comprises the support staff to the legal profession of Barristers and Solicitors. Support includes paralegal staff, legal secretaries, legal administrative assistants, receptionists, registration clerks, accounts clerks and others.
Legal secretaries develop advanced practical skills in research, reporting and preparation of legal documents and have a thorough understanding of the concepts, terminology and documentation specific to courts and legal offices.
COURSE LEVELS EXPLAINED
This course leads to the awarding of either a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved within each module at the basic (Certificate), intermediate (Diploma) and advanced (Advanced Diploma) levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the three levels below:
1. Certificate: represents a basic level of operational knowledge with general knowledge. Suitable for basic entry level positions.
2. Diploma: qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
3. Advanced Diploma: The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
Your enrolment is processed and acknowledged within 24 hours of the Institute receiving your application. You can expect to receive your course within days of enrolling. When you start your ICI course its at your own pace and you determine when you finish. Don't miss out. Enrol today!HOW TO ENROL1. Enrol Online
The fastest way is to enrol online. Your details are kept secure and we don't share them with anyone.
To enrol online:
1. Visit: www.ici.net.au/paralegal
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page
3. Click on the enrol now button
4. Complete the secure online form.
2. Enrol via the Phone
Call: 1300 131 582